Let's get one point of confusion cleared up right away - Bike Church has nothing to do with any kind of organized religion. This is not a church service where you ride your mountain bike to the meeting place and listen to Reverend Tim expound on the glory of God (although he's welcome to use the idea).
Bike Church is a FREE! informal bicycle maintenance and repair workshop held every other Sunday (thus the "church" part of the name) at the Alpineer in Crested Butte.
Led by expert mechanic Steve Lawlor (seen here wielding a pulaski tool on the new Crested Butte "Gold Link" Trail last Saturday), Bike Church teaches you basic and advanced bike care. Each workshop focuses on a specific type of maintenance and is suitable for any rider.
Springtime Tuneup May 27 - 10:30 am
• tire pressure
• bearing adjustment
• bolt torque
• chain lube
• brake/tire/drive train/cable/housing inspection
• shifting adjustment
• derailleur hanger alignment, suspencions and brake leaks
Emergency Trail Repair Basics June 10 - 9:30 am
• flat tire repair
• wheel repair
• brake pad replacement
• broken derailleur hanger
• required tool kit and spare parts
• when to walk
Women's Clinic June 24 - 9:30 a.m.
• what makes a woman's bike a woman's bike
• how to set up a bike specifically for a woman
• how to bike-fit a rider with small hands
• woman-specific saddles, grips, etc.
• woman's bike shorts vs. unisex shorts
• the kind of clinic Mrs. Flyingcracker (right) would enjoy
• cable, housing and ferrule inspection
• stop screws
• barrel adjusters
• derailleur hanger alignment
• pad wear and adjustment
Suspension July 22 - 9:30 a.m.
• spring rate / sag settings
• compression and rebound damping
• other fancy gizmos
More details can be found at the Alpineer's Bike Church web page.